Saturday, March 12, 2011

Lesson Learned

So I have read on other coupon blogs and websites about having each store's coupon policy handy for the stores where you will be using coupons. Each site I visited stated the importance of printing out and carrying the store coupon policies. Up until two days ago, I had not done this thinking I have never had problems with stores accepting my coupons at their full face value, so I should not need them. Then again, I guess I have never couponed at quite this level before either. I learned my lesson on this the other day at our friendly neighborhood Wal-Mart. I stopped in there to pick up some coffee and my free Shout wipes (I had printed a coupon off the internet for $1 off any Shout product and the wipes were $.97 making them free plus a three cent moneymaker on the three packs of Shout wipes I was trying to purchase).Wal-Mart now has a new coupon policy which would have allowed this transaction. The cashier who checked me out was not aware of this new policy, nor was the manager on duty. When the cashier called the manager over to the register because she was not sure she could accept my coupons, the manager informed me that she could let the cashier adjust the price of the coupon to reflect the cost of the wipes, but they could not accept the coupon for its full value. I informed them that I was aware that Wal-Mart had a new coupon policy, but the manager said they did not have a new policy and she could only adjust the value of the coupon. I politely said no thank you I will hold on to my coupons and come back tomorrow with the new policy. When I got home I printed out the policy and the next day I took that copy along with my coupons and got my free wipes, plus the three cents back on each coupon. Although four managers had to become involved this time, they could not deny the coupon policy and if they were not aware before, now they are. Needless to say, I will not go into a store with my coupons without carrying that store's coupon policy with me from now on. I will be creating a new page in this blog where I will place links to the coupon policies for the stores that I shop at, so that others who may stop by here can also quickly and easily print out these policies as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment